Sunday, June 9, 2013

Race Day Recap!!

Saturday was a perfect day for my first race experience. I have to say I was concerned as Long Island was experiencing the effects of tropical storm Andrea on Friday night. As we headed off to Oyster Bay for the race the sun came shining through and the skies were bright blue! 

I woke up and came downstairs to this homemade card from my brother...

 
                                 :)

I woke up with a blood sugar of 184 which is a little higher than I like, but the only thing I could do was have my omelette and piece of toast and head off. 

Registration was at 8 and the race at 9. We got there earlier than we needed to, but better be safe than sorry. 

I tested my blood way more than probably necessary, but I wanted to stay on track and make the best possible decision. Arriving at 745 I was 217 ( no snack necessary) I have practiced running the 3.1 with the same breakfast and insulin that I did for the race, but my worst fear would be that I drop low before or during the race. About 30mins before I had dropped to 163 which was a good number for working out and wouldn't have normally had a snack if I had been working out on my own, but I didn't want to chance anything. I decided to have an Extend Protein Bar as they are really helpful with keeping blood sugars stable and breaking down slowly to avoid a spike. 

I started stretching and 10mins before start time I was 180. Perfect! 

 
Lining up I had those "exciting nerves" I hadn't felt since the last time I was in a skating competition. I tried to tell myself everything would be fine and that I would not drop low... And I was right! 

Ready, set, go!! 

The course looped the runners around the town 2x then back into the park along the perimeter of the water. I really had no idea as to where I was in comparison to the other runners nor did I care. All I wanted to do was run it straight and cross the finish line with no problems. It was so motivating having people along the route to cheer us on and seeing my parents at the finish line. 

I crossed the finish line to my surprise with a time of 23:35! Faster than I had ever run that distance in the gym. I was thrilled! 


(I even had matching socks and underwear to match my sneakers lol) 

My first race and I am proud to say I won a silver medal!! 




My post run blood sugar spiked, but I think it was a mix of the adrenaline along with the snack that I most likely didn't need. Oh well I had such a great morning I wasn't going to let it ruin my mood! 

I went to my favorite restaurant for my "victory dinner."  Dazies in Queens, boy did I eat! It was Saturday so it was my "free" day. :) 


            Gluten free Fried Zucchini! 


 
            Cheese, my weakness


What a great day! I am so motivated and definitely going to enter more 5ks this summer. Thank you to all who donated to the Celiac Foundation. With your help I was able to raise $405! 

It took me awhile to get myself to do this, but I encourage everyone who is hesitant to try something new to JUST DO IT! 

Off to Myrtle Beach... Talk to you soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment