Friday, June 28, 2013

Gym Fools & Sweetener in my Starbucks

Well it is more than half way through this Friday and it has NOT been good. I am beginning to see more and more that COMMON SENSE JUST AIN'T THAT COMMON!

This morning while I was at the gym I ran into a guy who I used to see there all the time. About a year ago he moved upstate and now I only see him occasionally when he is in town visiting family and uses the gym here. Each time I run into him he always makes a comment on my appearance. He used to tell me that I look too thin and sickly. Today he asked me if I had put on some weight since the last time he saw me. Like REALLY?! First off you are a 50+ year old man, leave me alone. Second, haven't you ever heard of the old saying "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all?" I don't think he meant any cruelty by it, I almost wish he did because at least then I can just write it off as the guy is a mean person... but this guy is just plain old fashioned STUPID. I think I can deal with mean people better than I can with stupid people.

This kind of goes back to my message in my post about the pizza. People really need to think before they speak.

I don't know of any person, but females in particular who want to hear that they have looked like they "gained weight." Now I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past two years,

but I know that since my lowest, the number on the scale has gone up due to muscle (hopefully). I personally hate getting on the scale and avoid at all costs. Seeing your weight can make you go from feeling great to beating yourself up. I almost get into fights with the nurses at doctors offices when they need to check my height and weight every visit. The number on a scale can definitely mess up a persons head, I will be the first to tell you. Many doctors and health professionals always say to go by how your clothes fit, but then the first thing they want you to do when they step in your office is step on the scale... really?! It just does not make sense to me.

Like a lot of people, I have struggled (and still do) with self image. Nothing too severe, but your typical female insecurities. Especially when I am forced to eat when I do not want to because of a low blood sugar. I feel like it is necessary to "un-do" that "damage" and will not feel better until I work out.

What if I did struggle more with these issues than I do? The idiot gym guy's comment could have taken a much deeper cut. What if I was recovering from an eating disorder? Would that be something I really have wanted to hear? Not going to lie, I was definitely upset at first and shed a few tears before yoga... no one ever wants to hear that they look like they have gained weight. However I highly doubt that he thought of these possibilities before making that comment.

I really wish I could have said something to him, but I was just standing there asking myself "did that really just come out of his mouth?" Hopefully one day I will have the opportunity to say something to him and hopefully he will start to think before he makes comments on a female's appearance.

Then to add to my annoyance.. after my daily Starbucks run I return home to discover that they put sweetener in my iced coffee when I specifically say everyday "no room and no sweetener." Luckily mom saved the day by bringing it back and correcting it. I would have, but I had taken my insulin for my bar and feared waiting to long could result in a low blood sugar which would not have been good while driving. Everyone makes mistakes, ill give them that, but I wish they would have made their mistake on a different day. LOL :) 

So everyone hopefully this is just another reminder to think before you speak! I feel silly having to say this, but apparently people do make these comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment