Tuesday, November 5, 2013

2013 JDRF Walk

This past Sunday I took part in my first JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes. It was a great morning and perfect weather for a walk! (A little chilly, but I don't mind the fall temps!) 



Team Kim met at Bethpage Ballpark an hour before the start time at 9:30. Luckily we had an extra hour of sleep the night before.

I was so surprised when my best friend Tanya picked me up and presented me with a homemade shirt! She is so crafty.


 
Team Kim members included my best friend Tanya and her bf JT, mom and our good family friend Linda aka Lindaloo and friends from the restaurant I work at Mary Ellen and Margaret! I felt so loved.

The walk was 3.1 miles, just like the 5k I did a week prior... but this was by far the most difficult workout I have ever had! I am used to running 3.1 miles and being done rather quickly. Walking is a whole other story. It just kept going and going.




Finally we got to the half way mark when I thought we were almost done... 

What?!



Then of course, blood sugar starts to drop!

The last quarter of a mile is when I and a bunch of other T1's began to lose it. It was comforting to see so many others doing what I do all the time.

Tanya, JT and I hailed down a golf cart... the low blood sugar patrol (lol). I guess this is just another example of the unpredictability. I have gotten through multiple hour long workouts that felt a lot more strenuous, but a little Sunday stroll through me for a loop.

Oh well, it felt good to be there for the cause and have the support of some great people! :) Thank you again for all of the generous donations and support. In only a week Team Kim raised $560. Next year I will know what to expect and hopefully will raise even more and get through the whole walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment