Thursday, August 15, 2013

D Day

Ten years ago today I was admitted into the hospital. After about a month of going to the bathroom what felt like every 30mins and being excessively thirsty it was time to go to the doctor. I thought I would be told either A: there is nothing wrong and I am making something out of nothing or B: I had a urinary tract infection. 

Instead I was told that I had Type 1 Diabetes and needed to go to the hospital. A lot different than what I had expected. 

My first thought was of my grandfather who was a T2D and at the time. I would often help him test his blood sugar and read his numbers. The thought of what he had to do didn't bother me, but then I realized I would be doing this to myself. 

After 5 days in the hospital with an overwhelming amount of information, new doctors, counting carbs, insulin injections and so much more I was released and now going to handle this all on my own (with family support of course).

I will admit it has only gotten harder and more frustrating, but I try and make the best of each day.  In the beginning achieving perfect a1cs seemed like a piece of cake and I easily adapted to my new lifestyle. There is no "good" time to be diagnosed with T1D and obviously I would never ask nor wish it on another, but at least it was a time where habits were still being developed. I was still fairly young. Being diagnosed later in life I can understand how it would be more difficult to change/adjust. 

It is crazy to think that it has been 10 years. The highs and the lows have only made me stronger and hopefully in 10 years from now I can look back and say that I used to have T1D. It would be nice to think I'll see a cure in my lifetime... 

At least the best way to "celebrate" my Dia-versary (if you want to call it that) will be heading to Aruba tomorrow!! 

Talk to you all from One Happy Island. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment