Friday, August 9, 2013

Get Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable

Happy Friday! One week until ....
 
So I thought it would be appropriate to do a workout related post.
 
Since Sunday's BBQ I have really been stepping it up and trying to add in some different techniques to maximize my workouts. For my birthday I received a Polar heart rate monitor watch. It has been helpful to wear to see how different exercises play with my heart rate. It is cool to see it jump when I push myself just a little bit harder.
 
Sunday started by running 4 miles then a crazy leg workout that had me SOAKED. On Monday and Wednesday of this week I went to my usual spin classes. Afterward I did an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill and abs. Also both days I did a minute of bosu ball burpees. INSANE!! I love burpees and hate them at the same time. I read that they boost your metabolism the remainder of the day so in the end they are worth it. I love this meme that my friend Ashley shared with me last summer.
 
 
:)
 
Thursday was my double class day. Angela teaches great classes! The first is a step/kickboxing/weight class.  I was loving the 70's themed music.


 
The second is a standard weight training class. I love that one because it gives me ideas on how to weight train on my own. Many people (women especially) "fear" weight training because they think they will get bulky/manly looking, but that is not true! It is so important and actually burns more calories the rest of the day than running for 30 mins straight.
 
By 12pm on Thursdays after 2 solid hours I am ready for a nap!
 
Today was spent doing treadmill intervals, abs and yoga. Also before heading to yoga I tried a new machine. The stair master...
 
It was nice to switch it up and I also got a whole other view of the gym from being up so high.
 
I look forward to really pushing it this next week. Another tip that has been motivating me is the idea of visualization. For me it has been walking the beaches of Aruba. During runs I imagine myself crossing the finish line of a race. My favorite expression is being "uncomfortably comfortable." In other words, giving myself that extra push. Getting out of my comfort zone, but not killing myself at the gym. I know I cant run 10 miles straight at this point and trying to do that straight right now would be dumb and unsafe. Instead I will tell myself to pick up the pace for the next 5 minutes, go for 3 extra reps, etc. Realistic pushes that get me out of my comfort zone.
 

I hope this motivated you to get to the gym! :) 

A snap of my healthy dinner from last night. Salmon, sweet potato and carrots. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment