Sunday, October 27, 2013

Race Day!

Yesterday was a great day so therefore I must share! It was my second 5k race, this time the Commack Coalition of Caring. I was really excited to take part in this once because it was at my high school which meant I would probably see some familiar faces.



Of course there was that looming voice in the back of my head worrying about blood sugars, but I made it through once again. I am learning though that adrenaline is really tricky to figure out.

The day started with my usual breakfast. Nothing fancy, but I know it works. Off we went!



Another thing I am learning about races, is that if they tell you the race begins at 9am and registration is from 7-8:15, you only need to get there about an hour before. Arriving at 7:35am to an almost empty lot isn't necessary, but oh well!

Checked in, got my bib and began stretching. This race was clocked by a computer so everyone had an electronic chip to record their time and the results came out right away.



After watching my sensor all morning I was happy to see it staying steady at a slightly higher level. At 8:45 I checked and was 187. I had a small bite of a protein bar and headed off. Later I would learn that I most likely didn't need it, but with a race I just wanted to be safe.

At 9am...ready, set, go! 



It was a really motivating route. There were different checkpoints with volunteers cheering and handing out water. There were also clocks at the mile markers so you could see where you were at. 

The last mile felt like the longest. I was wondering when this last stretch of road was going to end, trying to ignore the fatiguing in my legs and of course thinking...Hmmm what is my blood sugar doing? I had my sensor on me and some glucose tablets just in case so that helped to put my mind at ease.

As "Firework" by Katy Perry came on I finally saw the finish line in the distance. Just before finishing, a volunteer called out 23:02... with only feet away I knew I could beat my first time of 23:35. 




And I did! Crossed the finish line 15 seconds faster. I was so excited!! Another race successfully completed. 



After catching my breath I checked my blood and saw the effects of my adrenaline... 304!! YIKES!! Usually when I am running for a regular workout, steady cardio tends to drop me, so it is really tricky to figure out when your blood sugar will do what. Oh well wasn't going to let it put a damper on the beautiful morning. Took a correction and knew it would eventually come down.

Results were posted and I scored 3rd in my age group! I am really liking this running thing :)

The awards ceremony was held in the gym and there was a bunch of vendors there as well. One of them being a massage company...


I even saw some of my spinners at the race! 


It was really rewarding to take home a bronze medal. Just another challenge tackled! 


The day only got better as we went to celebrate my dads birthday at our favorite restaurant Dazies! 


Anyway back to work on a presentation for school. Stay tuned for my next post about what came in the mail last week. Any guesses? ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment