Monday, July 8, 2013

As The Temp Rises

The blood sugar falls. That seems to be the trend with me in the heat. Whether I am sitting outside in the sun or in the pool I must make sure to adjust my insulin. Over the past few days my blood sugar has been pretty good, but there have been some really annoying moments. Like last night.

As the holiday weekend came to a close it was great being able to spend it poolside and BBQ'ing with the family in the evening. 



Usually I stick to a cheeseburger, but I was really feeling a hot dog as well. I do not make them a usual simply because it is well, a hot dog. I tried not to beat myself up about it. I had been working really hard in the gym, see here and also I had been getting some extra exercise with swimming.

After dinner I controlled my desire for ice cream and treated myself to my version of "dessert." A ThinkThin Chocolate Brownie Crunch Bar and a cup of coffee. (Who needs ice cream or brownies when you can be just as satisfied with a protein bar?) Before dessert I was 190, a little high, but figured I had just eaten dinner. So I covered for my bar and figured I'd be good to go. Not the case.

This was a picture recap from bar time to bed time. 




Had some juice... 15 mins later..


More juice...


Relief! Had a cracker to stabilize. Was extremely erked that I had to eat again after I HAD JUST Eaten, but off to bed I went. 

20 mins later... 


                       REALLY?!?! 


*** I just want to sleep!! *** 

More juice...

What better way to pass the time than to tweet your frustrations. 




Ok... Waited another 10mins. I didn't want to over do it and thought maybe everything that I had just eaten would catch up. Wishful thinking.

Not the case...


Really, this has GOT to be a joke. 

One more cracker. 

10 mins later I tried going to sleep again as I had come up to 95. Now I feared waking up at 300 and something. However I was pleasantly surprised to wake up at a lovely 130. Go figure. 

This is just one example of the detours involved in T1D. Annoying and frustrating when they happen for what you feel like is no reason. Even more annoying being forced to eat what feels like a whole meal when you do not want to right before going to sleep. I tried to be good and pass on the ice cream and look where it got me. Can't win sometimes. 

#type1diabeticproblems. 




2 comments:

  1. That must be frustrating having to eat when you don't want to or if you're already full. I had a hot dog the other day too. Can't remember the last time I had one but it was actually good hah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Especially when you do one thing and it works, then when you try to do the same thing it doesn't.

      Delete