Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Dark Side of Fitness

I got the inspiration for this post from my friend and fellow blogger Ashley, who wrote a post about the other side of body building. She has some great posts so definitely check out her page!

I guess I should put out this "disclaimer" and just mention that this is entirely my point of view and based off of my own experiences. However, I am sure many people that value fitness like I do can relate.

With that said, we can proceed...

Clearly fitness has a lot of perks. Health benefits, the reward of taking on a challenge, etc. but there is also a part of it that can lead to being overwhelming and obsessive. After experiencing both sides of fitness it is sometimes hard to maintain a balance because it is a very fine line that can be easily crossed.

I love going to the gym, going to different classes, eating healthy (the majority of the time) and being proud of the transformation I have made over the past few years. It is flattering and rewarding to have people acknowledge my hard work as well. However there are also times where being fit can play with your mind. The need to feel like you are always "going for more" or "pushing" the extra distance. I think this is in a way fearing that eventually the results will eventually go away and there will be no where to go but back. Always feeling the need to have that "perfect" physique, analyzing every picture, "seeing" things or parts that you still find unflattering or "need work." Sometimes us fitness fanatics don't give ourselves enough credit and as Ashley stated, can use fitness as a punishment. 

Skipped the gym? Better make up for it tomorrow.. Ate that cookie? An extra 10 minutes of cardio to "undo" that choice. Or that large dinner I had is going to "show" tomorrow. And the list goes on and on...

It is ok to make fitness a priority, but being careful of that line is very difficult. It is even difficult for me to put into words although it is such a strong feeling. 

Then the whole issue of weight can play with your mind even more. It is so difficult to grasp the idea that weight fluctuates and the differences of weight due to muscle. Just when I am getting to the point of being happy with what I see, learning "the number" can take it all away. Despite the fact that my clothes still fit and I feel I have developed a look with more muscle definition.. Seeing a number that you would like to be lower or one that you feel does not reflect your hard work can take those feelings of accomplishment away in a second. Why is that? Why do I and so many others let a number dampen our mood and feel like we aren't working hard enough? Its not like my clothes size has changed or I am eating junk food on a regular basis. It's just nuts! I have tried my best to not even weigh myself or see what it is at doctors appointments anymore because I know it just won't be worth it, but sometimes you are just dying to know. As they say, "curiosity killed the cat." 


 
So as you see there are so many darker issues going through the mind of a fitness fanatic. People will make a face when I freak about splurging on dessert, but they don't realize all of the above mentioned issues. Or the common "oh you can afford that piece of cake!" Yes maybe I can, but my mind can't. 



It is always going to be a struggle to find that balance and not cross too far over to "the dark side," but hopefully as I just continue to remain active and enjoy life I will learn to appreciate what is more important.  




2 comments:

  1. Absolutely loved this!!! I think all regular fitness people struggle with perfection. I'm always trying to look better, eat better, etc.. But it's crazy since perfection doesn't exist! I've been trying to focus more on just being happy with where I am nowhere. Especially this past week since I haven't been able to workout which was been frustrating. I was reading an article the other day about how women get obsessed with wearing a certain clothing size. The article started how a size 5 is a size 0 depending on the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to know that others can relate. I hope you are feeling better. I am sure it was probably getting to you sitting around, but now you can get back into working out again all rested and ready to go. That is crazy but so true because I have experienced it! One size is different in all different stores!

      Delete