Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Meet My Favorite Doctor!

Yesterday was my annual check up with my "gluten free" doctor aka gastroenterologist, Dr. Pettei. 



Every year I go for blood work to make sure all of the antibodies for Celiac Disease come back negative. I was tested for Celiac Disease every year since   having T1D because because they are both autoimmune disorders and they can go hand in hand. Luckily for the past 4 years I have had successful visits! It is nice going to a doctors visit pretty confident that you will not leave in tears.  Don't get me wrong, there is always that part that fears the worst in a doctors appt, but I know that if I avoid gluten I will be in good shape. That is why I find celiac disease "easier" than T1D because if you avoid gluten you are basically "cured." However  with T1D I often feel like I am doing everything 110% to achieve good blood sugars, but I do not always get the results I hope for. 

Dr. Pettei is my favorite doctor because he is professional and sensitive while at the same time realistic. Being diagnosed with celiac disease 4 years ago, I thought I would never be able to live a "normal" life. I thought no more vacations, no more restaurants and not another "treat" for the rest of my life. I thought I had seen my last cookie, pastry and bread. Dr. Pettei addressed my concerns and took the time to answer all of my questions. 

In order to be officially diagnosed I needed to have an upper endoscopy procedure. Meaning I would fast then go into the hospital where a sample of my intestines (I think) would be sampled for their status. 

For a T1D, fasting can be difficult. Of course I was not excused. About 2:30am the morning of the procedure my blood sugar tanked to 55. Obviously fasting was thrown out of the window. I needed to raise my blood sugar, there was mo question. It was frustrating because I had done everything to keep my blood sugar level.. Reduced insulin, had a snack before I went to bed, etc.. But what else is new? T1D doesn't make sense.  Also because this whole idea of gluten free was overwhelming and I just wanted to have this procedure done. It was my first time being sedated and was very nervous. Later I would realize that that was the BEST part of this whole ordeal. Best sleep I ever had! 

Most doctors I feel would basically say "Sorry, reschedule." Dr. Pettei on the other hand told me to come in for the procedure around 12 so by then 8 hours had passed since I had eaten. That small action to eased worry meant the world to not only me, but my family. 

Although the biopsy confirmed that I did in fact have Celiac Disease, I am happy to say that it is not the end of the world. Seriously, look at all of my food posts and you will see what I am talking about. Yes, of course it is overwhelming when you are told no more gluten. My first question was "What is gluten?!" After a lot of research and practice you learn that there are so many things you CAN eat. Luckily over the past 4 years there has been much more awareness and education making it easier to be social and go food shopping at your local grocery store. 

So my advice for any newly diagnosed celiac patients is to take a deep breath and understand that you may need to plan more when it comes to eating, but like anything else it becomes second nature. 

Thank you to Dr. Pettei! 


Thumbs up for a good visit! I am going to be so sad when eventually I cannot get away with going to a pediatric doctor. Hopefully I can still get another year.. Or two.. Or three...  :) 

1 comment:

  1. Yay for great doctors! They can be SO hard to find. I went to a pediatrician until I was 18 too and all the little kids used to stare at me haha. Lately I've been going to one of those clinics for little things. There is never a wait and they are so nice.

    ReplyDelete